Vote on TPA Expected as Early as Tomorrow
What is TPA?
Key Elements of TPA:
1. TPA outlines Congressional guidance to the President on trade policy priorities and negotiating objectives.
- One in three manufacturing jobs depends on exports, and one in three acres on American farms is planted for export.
- More than 97% of the 300,000 U.S. companies that export their products are small and medium-sized companies.
- Congress should renew Trade Promotion Authority to allow the negotiation of new job-creating trade agreements.
- TPA should be structured to clarify the checks and balances in the Constitution’s executive/legislative partnership on trade, with Congress setting objectives and the Executive Branch consulting with legislators throughout the process.
- Every President since Franklin D. Roosevelt has had TPA; every President should have it.