This position is an opportunity to design and lead the financial and operational systems for a new nonprofit that will open San Antonio’s first public school centered around art and social justice. This is not a desk job, it is not a task manager position, it is not a role where you are handed a pre-made handbook to execute. Instead, it is a ‘create something completely new and then bring it to life’ type of job. The Gathering Place will open its first school in the Fall of 2020. The Director of Finance and Operations will be the first position hired in the organization and will work alongside its two co-leaders during one of the most important startup phases. They will start January of 2020, and spend their first 6 months setting up all the structures that need to be in place for a successful school launch. They will then spend the next year working directly with staff and families to ensure the financial and operational systems they created are equitable, effective and serve all members of the community in a way that supports the mission and vision of the school. Ultimately, as the organization grows to serve over 2,000 children, the Director of Finance and Operations will go on to lead and coach a team that will collectively be responsible for the financial and organizational systems of the organization. If you are motivated by the complexity of starting something new and compelled by the mission of revolutionizing what schools can look like, we look forward to meeting you!
The Director of Finance and Operations will:
- Oversee and manage organizational invoicing, accounts payable, bank reconciliations, and internal control measures designed to develop and promote a financially healthy organization.
- Prepare and analyze reports needed by the co-leaders and Board of Directors.
- Manage organizational cash flow and cash flow projections.
- Prepare all information needed for external audits and IRS reporting.
- Be comfortable with modern finance software and spreadsheet formulas/protocols for accounting, budgeting, and data organization.
- Oversee payroll, benefit management, and other general HR systems.
- Oversee grant management and reporting.
- Manage all contracts and relationships with third party vendors and oversee procurement for school-wide orders.
- Support the creation and execution of student application and enrollment systems.
- Support in the development of school-based operational systems like: arrival/drop off, lunch, recess, etc.
- Support all startup endeavors leading to a successful school launch.
- We welcome candidates from a wide range of professions and experiences including those outside of education.
- Knowledge of Texas law and expectations surrounding charter schools is appreciated but not required.
- Fluency in Spanish is appreciated but not required
Compensation & Benefits:
- $60,000 – $80,000
- High-quality health, dental, and vision insurance options with 50% of all costs (individual or family) covered by The Gathering Place
- 100% Employer paid Life Insurance
- Tax-free FSA account that The Gathering Place will match for up to $450
- 15 PTO days (this includes sick, personal, bereavement, religious, vacation, and any other days needed off from work) during the school year and 10 PTO days during the summer * All 25 PTO days may be used at employee discretion to extend parental leave
- 12 weeks paid parental leave which includes adoptions
Commitment to Diversity
We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of a person’s actual or perceived identity with regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, nationality, pregnancy, political or religious beliefs, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, parental status, or any other distinguishing physical, or genetic characteristics. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff as well as potential staff members.