JOB SUMMARY Performs various duties required for the processing of Hospital and Hospitality linens such as transporting linen, handling, separating, and sorting soiled linens, processing, inspecting, and storing clean linen articles. (Additional details below)
TRAINING / EXPERIENCE NEEDED REQUIRED Grade 10 or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written in English.
- Ability to deal effectively with others.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to organize work.
- Unloads carts containing soiled linen from transport trucks. Weighs and records weight of soiled linen received in carts and bags for processing.
- Places bags of soiled linen on the conveyor sorting system.
- Handles and sorts soiled linen by placing into various laundry soiled linen carts, according to the type of linen (classification) and the nature of the cleaning required.
- Operates various laundry equipment such as weigh scale, linen cart dumper, cart washer, conveyor belt, washer/extractor, continuous batch washer (tunnel), dryers, and various finishing equipment (such as linen feeder-spreader-ironer, roll-up bin, blanket and small piece linen folder, rotary conveyors, uniform finishing equipment and dry cleaning equipment.
- Inspects clean linen for quality control purposes and separates stained, torn, and otherwise defective linens for repair and or discard, stain treatment, and rewash.
- Processes clean linen by sorting, feeding linens into ironers, folders, and uniform finishing tunnel and stacking, bulk packaging/bagging, or hand folding items.
- Collects finished linens from rotary conveyor and places on linen carrier shelves/carts.
- Transports loaded and empty linen carts to storage areas and to transport trucks. Maintains work area by performing light cleaning duties such as waste collection, sweeping, spot washing and spill cleanup, dusting, wiping, and tidying.
- Follows Safety regulations and procedures and Infection Control regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.