Department: Construction Services Reports to: Project Manager
Location: San Antonio, TX Last Updated: February 13, 2020
SCI is looking for experienced and friendly individuals to join our customer service oriented team and help us grow. Construction Material Testing Technicians are involved in testing and inspections of various construction materials on construction sites and in our materials laboratory. This position requires professionalism and a willingness to work not only to meet expected deadlines but also as needed for excellence in service. The technician provides support of a highly complex and responsible nature, interfacing regularly, comfortably and confidently with various levels both inside and outside the firm. The position requires considerable discretion, initiative, and independent judgment in non-routine matters. The ability to learn the technical terminology and to be able to read documents and blueprints with a somewhat educated eye allows potential errors to be corrected. Attention to details and consistency is thus required. Some travel to our office located in Austin will also be required.
New Full-time employees are eligible to participate in the SCI Training Success Incentive Program. This program provides new employees the opportunity to earn up to a $500 bonus upon obtaining specific certifications during the first 9 months of employment. More information to be provided during the interview process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform various tests and inspections on construction materials
- Written and electronic reports must be completed regularly
- Verbal communication with site and office personnel is required.
- For more experienced personnel, some supervision and training of less-experienced staff is likely.
- Adhere to strict safety procedures and standards.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or the equivalent.
- Zero to one year prior experience required. At least 1 year of relevant experience is preferred.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Valid driver’s license and current driver’s insurance.
- Must be available for overtime and weekend work as needed.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations.
- Requires a basic logical understanding of smartphones.
- Requires logical approach to problem solving.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Must enjoy working outside.
- ACI Field Testing Technician – Grade 1 Certification
- ICC or NiCET certification is preferred
Specific starting duties and responsibilities will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. SCI promotes from within whenever possible and advancement opportunities are available.
SCI Engineering is an EOE/ Minorities/ Females/ Vet/ Disabled Employer.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please apply on our website at https://sciengineering.com/careers/