The San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Latina Leadership Institute is a six-month program (one day per month) designed to build the skills, knowledge and confidence that today’s Latina Leaders need to succeed in their political aspirations of 1) running for elected office, 2) applying for positions on local, state, federal or corporate boards and commissions 3) applying for White House Appointee Positions, and/or 3) are interested in leadership roles within political campaign management.
The program is a non-partisan, issue-neutral leadership program, whose mission is to increase the number and influence of Hispanic Women in elected and appointed office positions in the United States. By doing so, we will impact a change to the current political landscape.
The program provides a highly personal experience that is tailored to help each Latina Leader cultivate skills that have never before been taught in one single program, with facilitators including local community and political leaders. The Latina Leadership Institute also provides a safe environment for learning and skill practice. Highly qualified facilitators provide participants with the personal insight and perspectives that will help them unlock their leadership potential and refine key leadership skills needed to achieve impactful, tangible results throughout their political career.
Workshops will feature facilitators and visiting Keynote Speakers as well as: City Council Leaders, Texas State Representatives, Past Texas and National Politicians, Past/Current White House Appointees, Campaign Managers, Business Leaders, and many more.
Why are we launching the Latina Leadership Institute?
Data from: LatinasRepresent, Political Parity, and NHLA published 2014 study
See more data at the LatinasRepresent website: http://www.latinasrepresent.org/
What Will I Learn?
Four key competencies are vital to all leaders, but play out in unique ways when Latina Leaders step into a political role:
- Learning agility
At this level, Latina Leaders must also strengthen their ability to:
- Think and act systemically
- Be resilient
By applying the lessons of Latina Leadership Institute, Latina Leaders will be able to:
- Communicate direction, achieve alignment and build commitment to continue to bridge the gender gap
- Gain critical perspectives, create buy-in and manage politics through collaboration.
- Solve complicated problems and take wise action amidst complex, rapidly changing conditions.
- Build resiliency and leverage multiple life roles to effectively manage stress and become more effective
Monday, August 8, 2016 – LLI Launch Reception
Friday, September 9 – Class 1
Friday, October 7 – Class 2
Thursday, November 10 – Class 3
Friday, December 9 – Class 4
Friday, January 20 – Class 5
Friday, February 24 – Graduation Ceremony
APPLICANT COMMITMENT: The applicant acknowledges that attendance is mandatory on all class days. Absence at any of these scheduled events without advance approval from Chamber staff and the Latina Leadership Co-Chairs on more than one occasion can result in expulsion from the class. Engaging in improper, threatening and/or harassing behavior at any chamber event may lead to removal from the program without reimbursement.
Selection Criteria: Applicants must
1) show evidence of a sincere interest in running for office OR working on a political campaign OR applying for positions on local, state, federal or corporate boards and commissions OR other politically appointed offices
2) be able to demonstrate commitment to improving the community (local, state, national or otherwise)
3) have the desire to increase their service to the community through holding key political (partisan and non-partisan) positions
4) present a clear vision and desire to run for office OR explore local, state, or national appointed position (including boards and commissions) options
$650 total (Inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org for installment payments)
Deadline to apply:
Friday, July 15, 2016 at 12:00 a.m. (Midnight)